Divine Mercy Chaplet
In 1935, St. Faustina in response to a vision of an angel sent by God that was about to chastise a certain city, began pleading to God for mercy with words she had heard interiorly:
Eternal Father, I offer You the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your dearly beloved Son, Our Lord Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world; for the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world (Diary, 476).
Here are some excerpts from the diary that show the great graces Jesus attached to the praying of this Divine Mercy Chaplet:
- Encourage souls to say the Chaplet which I have given you (Diary, 1541).
- Whoever will recite it will receive great mercy at the hour of death (Diary, 687).
- When they say this chaplet in the presence of the dying, I will stand between My Father and the dying person, not as the just Judge but as the Merciful Savior (Diary, 1541).
- Priests will recommend it to sinners as their last hope of salvation. Even if there were a sinner most hardened, if he were to recite this chaplet only once, he would receive grace from My infinite mercy (Diary, 687).
- I desire to grant unimaginable graces to those souls who trust in My mercy (Diary, 687). Through the Chaplet you will obtain everything, if what you ask for is compatible with My will (Diary, 1731).
Here is how to pray the DIvine Mercy Chaplet (using regular rosary beads):
- Make the sign on the Cross
- Pray the Our Father: Our Father, who are in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us and lead us not into temptation.
- Pray the Hail Mary: Hail Mary, full of grace the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.
- Pray the Apostle's Creed: I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth. I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord. He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary. He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended into hell. On the third day he rose again from the dead. He ascended into heaven, and is seated and the right hand of the Father. He will come again to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.
- For each decade of the rosary pray the following:
- On the large beads pray:
Eternal Father, I offer you the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your dearly beloved Son, our Lord Jesus Christ in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world.
- On the small beads pray:
For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.
- On the large beads pray:
- After five decades, please pray the following prayer three times:
- Holy God, Holy Mighty One, Holy Immortal One have mercy on us and on the whole world.
- Closing Prayer: Eternal God in whom mercy is endless and the treasury of compassion inexhaustible look kindly upon us and increase Your mercy in us that in difficult moments we might not despair nor become despondent but with great confidence submit ourselves to Your holy will which is love and mercy itself. Amen.
- Prayer for Conversion of Sinners - Pray each prayer three times in a row:
- Oh Blood and Water which gushed forth from the heart of Jesus, as a fountain of mercy for us, I trust in You.
- Jesus I trust in You.